Welcome to our online course ‘Makeup Artistry 101’
This course takes you through the basics of makeup artistry from the ground up. You will cover all the basic fundamentals of makeup artistry and work your way up to cover dramatic evening makeup looks, bridal and cosmetic retailing to name a few giving you all the tools needed to get started in the fashion industry as a professional makeup artist.
Our ‘Basic Makeup Artistry’ course gives you a taste of what being a professional makeup artist is all about in a step by step easy to follow format.
What You Learn
Our basic Makeup course is split into four easy to follow modules. You start with Module #1 and work your way through to the end of Module #4 at your own pace as you are ready. Each time you complete one module the next will be unlocked for you to access.
Preparing your professional makeup kit
In this section you will learn:
- What products are necessary as a professional makeup artist
- What your basic kit should look like
- What additions will you need to add eventually
Sanitization and hygiene
Proper hygiene is crucial, you will learn:
- Sanitary protocol
- How to sterilize products effectively and efficiently
- Makeup kit hygiene
- Cosmetic shelf life
Your brushes and tools
- Learn what each brush is made of and why
- The use for each tool
- How to properly work with each brush to achieve the best results
- Proper cleaning and handling of your tools
Professionalism and communication
Whether working with an art director for a shoot or for a client or retail line, there are questions and information to find out before you start. In this section we talk about the correct way to:
- Precede with Client consultations
- Filing in client consultation forms
- Ask the correct questions
- Communicate in a professional manner
- Using the correct body language
- Make your client comfortable
In this section Tara demos with how to complete the cleansing pattern and the correct techniques for removal of makeup. This section also covers:
- Recognizing various skin types
- Preparing the skin for a makeup application
- Different removal products and their uses
- Foundation types vs skin types
- Skin tone and undertones to look for when choosing the perfect foundation colour
It is important to not only understanding different products but also:
- Knowing a products properties, texture and uses
- When working in the industry knowing what product will produce the best results
- We take you through the basic products and what to use when creating a look whether basic or dramatic.
- Understanding your options is key.
- Understanding the importance of the brow and framing the face
- Shaping the perfect brow and the different techniques available
- Balancing the brow with the face shape
- Different products to create the perfect brow
- Putting it all together
- Tara demos how to put all we have learned so far together to create a flawless basic application that is our basis for everything going forward! She demos step by step the process from the first step of priming and foundation application to the final steps finishing off with the perfect lip liner and colour
- You will also learn how to use your brushes correctly and which to use where
- The video application also includes the correct handling and interaction with your model or client
- You finish off the basic application lesson with a hands on assignment that you send in for marking showing us that you have understood and followed the techniques correctly
- We also follow up with a check list for you to follow ensuring you follow each step to create the perfect application every time
Contouring and correcting
- Understanding the basic face shapes
- Highlighting and contouring to create the ‘ideal’ face shape
- Advanced highlighting and contour techniques to enhance or recede features
- Eye and lip correcting techniques
- Basic colour theory
- Using colour theory to correct imperfections and flaws
- Enhancing eye colour using correct colour theory techniques
Eye techniques including smokey eyes
- Tara demos two amazing techniques to create the perfect smoke eye every time using two very different products
- Tara talks about the strengths and weaknesses of using the two different products leaving you capable for working with this technique in any scenario or situation.
Day or dramatic evening looks
- How to create a small smokey eye suitable for day or office wear is demoed and well as how to create a dramatic evening eye.
- As with all the video demos we finish off with practice assignments that you send in to us to make sure you are perfecting the different techniques as you should. There are some fun assignments in this section that allow you to create some amazing day and evening looks with the techniques you have just learnt!
False lashes and liquid liner
- One is just not the same without the other!
- In this section Tara demos in the video how to measure and apply both a strip lash and single lashes to perfection.
- Tara takes you step by step from figuring out what type of lash is best for your client or scenario Tara not only shows you how to apply each application with intricate detail but also shows how to prep the lashes prior to application
- Finishing off the look many techniques can be used depending on the desired outcome. Tara shows you liquid liner application and how to flawlessly complete the perfect cat eye.
- Again as with all our video demos you carry on with your assignment to perfect the technique you just watched and upload for marking.
Module #3: Topics:
- There are some beautiful skin tones in this world! Tara demos in the next two videos how different ethnicities differ in undertones and features and how to work with this to create beautiful results
- Advanced contour and colour theory techniques
- Understanding colour changes and techniques
- Understand the ‘rules’ of mature makeup
- The do’s and don’ts
- Follow Tara through here video demo as she shows you how to create a beautiful flawless creation that will enhance features and bring an amazing glow to your mature client or model
- Start this lesson off by watching a beautiful bride unfold before your eyes as Tara demos the perfect techniques to make any bride blush!
- Learn the do’s and don’ts
- Touch on working with photography and what you need to think about from lighting to products
- Learn about different bridal combinations from classic to trendy so your techniques will appeal to everyone
- Create your own combination chart so you are never at a loss
- Create your two favourite combinations, one classic and one trendy
Bridal service cards and promtion
- As a makeup artist it is up to you to market yourself
- Learn how to price your services
- Promo cards are a key tool to have, learn how to create something that showcases you and what you do.
- Learn about the business side of wedding makeup. It is a huge business and something that you need to capitalize on correctly to make the most of your talents. We take the fear out of the whole process and teach you step by step what and how you need to prepare for all scenarios.
- Tara demos how to work with a client, how to listen to her needs, how to teach your client as you work through the application process and most importantly how to close a sale.
- Learn how to work with key trend pieces and looks
- Think about the needs and who your client is while working with a new look
- Work properly with face charts
Recreating magazine looks
- A huge part of being a strong makeup artist is to be able to follow the vision of an art director, a client or simply learning how to expand your own horizons
- In this section you will learn how to recreate images from a magazine or how to inspire yourself to push some of your own boundaries.
- Learn how to create classic looks or trend items and feels
Invoicing and Quoting
- You are your business and with it goes managing the business side or getting paid!
- How do you quote? What should an invoice look like and include? Who do you send it to and what to charge?
- We will cover all bases and making everything completely clear to you.
Marketing and business
- As mentioned in the previous section, you are your business. You can be an amazing makeup artist but if people don’t know about you how are you going to make money?
- We take all the guess work and stress out of the "business" side of things and cover all your bases.
Career options and choices
- What exactly is available to you?
- Where and how to look for work
Building your business
- What do you need to have prepared when marketing and networking yourself?
- How to network
- Once you are established, how do you manage your business and help it to thrive and grow?
Having a plan
- Knowing how to market yourself is no good unless you know what you want to do with your training
- Figure out where you want to go with your career and create a plan
- We will take you through a 5 year plan where you clearly spell out the where, how and why
At the end of module #4 you are ready for your written final exam and then your practical exams. If you achieve 75% or higher which we fully expect you to after your time with us you will receive your professional makeup artist certification which will be mailed out to you. You will also receive your 40% discount code to use on our online store when purchasing any product.
We look forward to taking this exiting journey with you!
Get started today on your path to becoming a professional makeup artist.
Indulge in your own makeup kit available to purchase. As an up and coming makeup artist you need the tools of the trade to help you achieve the desired result. Our professional grade makeup kit gives you the pigments and products needed to be the best you can be. It will take you through the course and in your following career.